January 10, 2010

Go Germany ! - Football World Cup 2010

Football World Cup 2010 would be hosted by South Africa in the month of June. It is a very important year for all the football playing nations including Germany. If this country is crazy about Bier (Beer), it is equally crazy about Fußball (Football). Even their local football tournaments are hugely popular. On the day of any local football match the trains, subways, busses are packed with fans who are merrily singing, dancing and drinking (you know what) and shouting slogans in support of their team. Basically football is in their blood.

Germans are eagerly waiting for the World Cup to kick off including Angela Merkel, who by the way, in her new year speech said that in the year 2010 Germans have a lot to look forward to, better economy, more jobs, tax cuts and of course, THE World Cup. The teams have been announced. Germany is placed in group- D along with Australia, Serbia and Ghana. Before I proceed, let me tell you that my knowledge of this game is not too much. All I know is that two teams have to keep kicking the poor ball till they make a goal and the team with highest number of goals wins. Well, coming from a nation where cricket is God, I still have to develop taste for football. I watch this game only once in four years. So I don't know whether group-D is a tough group or which of the three teams (Australia, Serbia, Ghana) would give Germany a good fight. Honestly I have no idea. And also whether Germany is placed in group- A,B,C or X,Y,Z I don't care. Now this doesn't mean that I am totally apathetic - no I am not. I mean, I do support Germany. Do I have a choice?? This reminds me of an incident. When Euro 2008 was being held in Switzerland and Austria one of my german friend asked me which team did I want to win. My answer was "I don't care whosoever wins. I am not a football fan". But soon I realised my mistake. I should have said Germany. Why? Simply because this country provides me food, shelter and money. How could I not support it. I could not be so indifferent. So I genuinely supported Germany till the end (though it lost to Spain in finals). And that's what I will do this time too.

Recently I read that the german football coach Joachim Löw is still contemplating on whom to include in the squad. Yes my dear, it is not an easy task. The responsibility of winning the cup lies on your broad german shoulders. On a serious note, last year was not a good year for the german football team - the tragic death of Robert Enke  shook whole Germany.

Well, I really hope Germany wins this World Cup. And you know I will never desert you, Deutschland. Good luck!


No comments: